Thurston County has faced a housing and homeless crisis for a decade. But our government officials are still researching it and working on plans to fix it. Reproduced below are Olympia’s “Housing Action Plan” from its 2020 Operating Budget plus the County Plan plus the “Regional Housing Action Plan” being planned by Thurston Regional Planning Council. Read ‘em and weep.
Olympia’s Housing Action Plan
In 2020, the City of Olympia will join with the cities of Tumwater and Lacey to develop a Housing Action Plan. The plan will identify current and specific information on the local housing market, especially the
barriers and challenges to constructing housing, and targeted approaches to getting housing that can serve a wide variety of income levels.
Thurston County Plans to end homelessness
• 2020 HUD Annual Action Plan
• Thurston County Homeless Crisis Response Plan 2019-2024
• Thurston County 2019 HUD Annual Action Plan
• Thurston County 5-Year Homeless Housing Plan 2017-2022
• 2018-2022 Citizens Summary – Draft
• 2018-2022 Consolidated Plan – Full Version
• Regional Consolidated Plan Appendices
• Thurston County 2018 Annual Action Plan
• Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing (AFFH) Report
o Citizen Overview
o Federal IDIS Report
o Legal Notice
o Summary of Recommendations
2017 HUD Action Plan *DRAFT*
- 2013-2017 Thurston County and Olympia Regional Consolidated Plan (FY 2015 Annual Action Plan)
- Citizen’s Summary of the 2013-2017 Consolidated Plan
- Thurston County Ten-Year Homeless Housing Plan
- Ten-Year Plan—2010 Revision
What is Thurston Regional Planning Council doing?
TRPC is working with the cities of Lacey, Olympia, and Tumwater to develop a Regional Housing Action Plan. The goal of the plan is to encourage the construction of additional affordable and market-rate housing in a greater variety of housing types, and at prices that are accessible to a greater variety of incomes. The plan will include:
- A housing needs assessment, including a 25-year projection of housing affordable at different income levels
- A list of specific actions that Lacey, Olympia, and Tumwater can take to increase the affordable housing stock
- A rental survey, to better understand what residents are paying for rent and how rents are changing
The plan will be completed in 2021.