Want to get your name in the paper? There’s an easy way: contribute to Works in Progress! There are lots of ways, big or small, we need them all. (Even poetry is welcome, you see.) Since Works in Progress (WIP) is a free, all-volunteer community newspaper with a mission to publish news that is ignored or misrepresented, we rely on submissions from you, as well as articles we solicit.
Just now, WIP is looking for help in a number of areas. Writing, of course, is the big one. If you look at the column on the left side of this page, you’ll see what our publishing mission is and how to submit your writing, along with some indications of the kind of writing we hope for. We also need people to help with the myriad tasks that don’t involve writing.
You could sign up for a job, either “on-call” or as a regular part of the team:
- we are in serious need of graphics, photographs & doodles
- we’re always in the market for poetry
- if you are adept at Photoshop, we need you
- have an idea for the cover? Tell us. it needs to print at 7.5 x 8”
- we need detail-oriented proofreaders—one Sunday a month—willing to learn
- take responsibility for our regular feature – “then this happened”
- contact us about doing a book review
- liaison with an advertiser – bring in a new advertiser
- distribute the paper or hand it out to groups you’re part of.
WIP is just about the last print medium standing in Thurston County and surrounding area. We print and distribute 3000 copies every month, and post the paper on line at olywip.org. (We’re working on a major upgrade of that website.)
We can help you edit your work—especially if you send it in timely. Deadline is the Sunday before the last Sunday each month. If you’re an experienced editor, we need those, too. Not just copy-editing, but serious good old-fashioned structural work.
If you’re interested and want to find out more, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a little bit about yourself, your skills, your interests. Or write us a letter and send it to WIP, PO Box 295, Olympia 98507.