Press "Enter" to skip to content

Free tax assistance in Thurston County

2015 Income Tax Preparation

In partnership with the AARP, the Thurston Asset Building Coalition is offering free tax preparation services throughout Thurston County during this tax season, with a focus on claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and the Childcare Tax Credit. In 2015, 2,168 people of all ages used our 6 sites. We helped those people receive back nearly $450,000 in EITC and more than $200,000 in Childcare Tax Credits.

In 2012, we ran a pilot project offering tax assistance at the Thurston County Food Bank–furthering our efforts to connect low-income people to services that help them build assets. The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is one of the nation’s largest and most effective anti-poverty programs. Together the EITC and Childcare Tax Credits have been proven to help move low-income persons and families out of poverty.

This year, low- to moderate- income households could be eligible for up to $6,000 or more in tax refunds when claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit.

Here is the Free Tax Prep Schedule for 2016.


Free tax preparation runs from February 1 through April 18, 2016.

  • Lacey Timberland Library, Saturdays: 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
  • Lacey Senior Center, Tuesdays and Thursdays: 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
  • The Olympia Center, Tuesdays and Thursdays: 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
  • Panorama, Mondays and Wednesdays: 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
  • Tumwater Timberland Library, Mondays and Wednesdays: 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
  • Yelm Adult Community Center, Fridays: 2:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.


What to Bring:

  • Your valid driver’s license or other photo ID card.
  • Social Security cards or a Social Security number (SSN) verification letter for all persons listed on the return.
  • Birth dates for all persons listed on return.
  • A copy of last year’s federal & state return if you have it.
  • All income statements: Forms W-2 and 1099, Social Security, unemployment, and other statements, such as pensions, stocks, interest and any documents showing taxes withheld. If self-employed or your own or run a business, bring records of all your income.
  • All records of expenses, such as tuition, mortgage interest, or real estate taxes. If self-employed or you own or run a business, bring records of all your expenses.
  • Bank routing numbers and account numbers to direct deposit any refund.
  • Dependent child care information: name and address of who you paid and either the caretaker’s SSN or other tax identification number.
  • Both spouses to sign forms to e-file your joint tax return.

For questions about eligibility or what to bring, contact District Coordinator Kirsten Klien at 360.269.5771.

For outreach materials contact Mindie Reule at 360.529.5281 or

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

MISSION & VISION  Our mission is to connect partners and…